- A fortified area at Resaca used by both Confederate and Federal troops
(Several large images. Please be patient while they load.)
is located on a hill overlooking Resaca and the bridge at the Oostanaula River.
It consists of an
artillery battery position, a full-fledged redoubt, and numerous entrenchments. It is positioned on 65 acres of
property preserved by the Friends of Resaca Battlefield, Inc. on conjuncton with the Gordon County Board of
Commissioners in late 2003. For full details on this acquisition click here.
was originally a Confederate training camp and staging area in 1862. By May
forces had built numerous trenches and placed an artillery battery there. After the Battle of Resaca, Federal
troops fortified the hill more heavily, constructing a large redoubt circled by a double line of earthworks. Federal
forces continued to occupy the position until 1868, three years after the war ended.
|One of the primary
historic features of Fort Wayne are these trenches constructed
by the Georgia Militia - the only remaining entrenchments constructed by the Militia
known to still exist. All the rest has been destroyed by development.
|An enhancement of the previous image outlining the Georgia Milita's trenchline.|
|Facing South: The main wall of the federal redoubt at Fort Wayne.|
|Facing East: Trenchline at the base of the redoubt.|
|Facing East: Trenchline at the base of the redoubt (enhanced).|
|Facing South: Trenchline at the base of the redoubt's west side.|
|Facing South: Trenchline at the base of the redoubt's west side (enhanced).|
|Facing North: A panoramic view of the redoubt. Federal artillery was positioned here after the Battle of Resaca.|
|Facing North: A panoramic view of the redoubt (enhanced).|